Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Perfect Steak

Valentines Day has passed, so that means I had finally made my steaks! My sister came home for the weekend and we decided to cook for ourselves. We went to the store and bought to filet mignons; I was pretty satisfied with the price.

The process on how to make the perfect steak:
  1. Rub salt over the steaks, and then let them sit for a half an hour.
  2. After the half an hour is up, wash the salt off the steaks. The salt allows the moisture to soak in, so it will be more flavorful than usual and overall taste much better. I would associate the term brining in with this.
  3. Than searing the steaks in oil. I was a little uncertain about this at first, because I didn't want to burn it all and overall ruin the whole steak in the process. I put the steak in the oil and let it sit for about two minutes and then flipped it. I did the same thing on the other side, and then set it aside on a tray to put in the oven.
  4. I minced up some garlic cloves, and dropped them into the pan with the oil and steak juices. I put the heat on low and let the sauce cook on its own for a couple of minutes.
  5. Earlier on, I set the computer to 350 degrees. I put the steaks in the oven and then after five minutes, poured some of the garlic sauce onto the steak and let it cook more into the oven.
  6. I checked every two minutes or so, and put a meat temperature thermometer into it. The correct temperature for a nice medium rare steak would be 130 degrees.
  7. Once the steak is at the right temperature, take it out and let it sit for ten minutes. This allows for the juices to compact together and make the steak juicer.
    • Brining: "Salt is added to cold water in a container, where the meat is soaked anywhere from 30 minutes to a few days. The amount of time needed to brine depends on the size of the meat" (Wikipedia). 
I was impressed and delighted when I tasted my steak. It came out very nicely, as my sisters did too. The only thing that I think I could have improved on would be that I would have cooked it for a minute less. My sisters steak was rarer than mine, and I would have preferred if mine was like that too. Next time I'll just cook it at a lower temperature, because even if it is under 130, it would still be cooked enough to eat.


I also liked the steak was pretty on the outside. Sometimes when I make food, it is not that appealing to the eye. I would like to work on my style a lot more when it comes to cooking. 

 Two days ago, I had made some cocktail meatballs that I enjoyed very much. I did not take pictures this time of the steps though, which is upsetting... I would probably have to remake them. The meatballs were pretty tasty. The sauce was whiskey mixed with some mustard. It's actually more of a glaze, which I think is better! At first, I thought I wouldn't like this recipe but it turned out to be tasty! 

I really want to make that layered macaroni and cheese too. The problem is that the cheese cost a lot of money, so I would have to be asking my mother about a loan for cooking this. I would soon also like to incorporate turkey burgers into the mix. I really like burgers in the first place, and I want to try something that I haven't before. I've eaten turkey burgers before, but I would like to just make it different this time around instead of the usual condiments on it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment