Friday, January 9, 2015

Two Simple Recipes

I've only started the project a little bit over the break, creating two easy recipes. I was thinking about creating simple ones first, and then slowly transforming into complicated dishes. The hard part of this process for me is improvisation, as I need to learn more about the specifics of cooking. 

1. The first recipe that I created was really simple. I was aiming for the breakfast area, I must have been in the mood, and then I thought, let's combine a meat and squeeze in a soft taste into it. I bought some croissant dough and sausages. Unfortunately, I used frozen sausages instead of searing them in a pan. Cooking them on the stove would taste much better than frozen sausages. This is a simple dish, but there's always a tricky part involved in some type of process. When I placed the sausages and cheese (any is fine, your preference) in the croissant and rolled them up, placed in the oven, baking it was a little difficult. The bottom part of the croissant would burn easily, because of the cheese. I would suggest laying the cheese on top of the other item placed in it. I made sure to get that golden brown color. Overall, it tasted delicious! There are so many possibilities with croissants. I even made a desert out of it, by stuffing marshmallows into it and sprinkling a dash a cinnamon on top of each one. It's quite simple and taste great.

Breakfast Croissants 
 I was thinking about putting the calorie amount, but I am not completely sure yet. 

2. I created another at home recipe. I went to a Chinese restaurant and ordered one of my favorite soups, Egg Drop Soup. I like the gooey texture of it, with the egg whites floating around in the liquid. When I came home from a tiring a day of school, I was starved, since lunch is near noon and I only have a simple bag of chips usually. I'm not usually hungry during the school day, and a lot of the time it motivates me to cook when I get home. What's better than simple ramen? But I was in the mood for more than just ramen. I thought, why not make something like a ramen egg drop soup? So I did! I boiled the noodles, tossed in the egg whites, stirred, shook the chicken seasoning in, and then stirred some more. I saved the egg yolk in a bowl and then slid it into the ramen. I let it boil for less than a minute, to make sure it was cook. I poured it all into a bowl and then stirred it all together to create that gooey, delicious texture. I added a little cilantro on top to make the appearance better, plus add a touch of flavor. 

Ramen Egg Drop Soup

Those are the two recipes I've created over the break. Over course I wanted to cook for Christmas, but my mother decided to take over and didn't want me to "play", even though my food can taste much better. I want to create one or two recipes every week. I was thinking one on the weekend, and another one during the weekdays. It's just that school sometimes makes me very exhausted, and I would be too tired and full of homework to want to cook. 

The type of cooking I want to try really badly is frying something. I have never fried food before. And the type of cooking I am not really looking forward too would be baking. I am not good at baking. I don't burn the cookies or cakes, but they don't taste like I want them too. I've nailed chocolate chip cookies, but that's about it. 

I have a mentor to help me out, but it would be great if I got other's input too. Criticism would be the best way for me to learn! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment